Saturday, April 11, 2015

LOST... AND FOUND?

                              


     I'm losing things!  .

                                                   
What an interesting discussion we were having at my nieces birthday lunch at the diner.
Subject: Lost ...and Found? The group were the 20 something singles, some young
mothers with children of assorted ages, and a few on the brink of senior-hood. But I was
the only actual senior in the group as the Aunt of the birthday girl.
As  each of them related their lost and  found stories, I had my 'lost' tales of woe but
kept them to myself. For instance, my most recent example was losing one of a pair of
pearl earrings, clip ons. They were both on my ear lobes and then there was only one
of them.
They were a gift many years ago from someone who is no longer in my life...which
makes it not less significant but more so because no more gifts will be forthcoming
from that source. And no more memories created. BUT, well I do still have one earring
left, so will I have half  the memories, and can I choose which half?  The happy exciting
ones at the beginning or the unpleasant ones at the end of it all?
Also, my spare ring of keys are missing! All the keys of my life were on that ring,
including the all important car key! Now Please, will everybody stop reminding me how
much a new Toyota key will cost!
My reading glasses, last time I saw them was at the library. Logical...no?
BUT I decided not to share this with them all. I refused to be their stereotypical absent
minded old lady!
But, I thought,what else am I losing...my senses? Not my common sense, I hoped! What about the
famous FIVE; Sight.Hearing. Taste. Smell.Touch?  I threw the 5 out to the group. and they
all started talking at once! SMELL was a biggie ... pizza in the oven, cookies baking, hot
dogs on the grill...(and that's  before the TASTE sense kicked in) just the aroma. I
completely agreed...for  me it was my coffee first thing in the morning.
HEARING. I love music ( my music) and they, of varied ages, loved theirs. So I kept my
opinions about it to myself. "Just noise", I would have said but didn't. With advanced age
you learn how Not to say everything that comes to your mind, but it isn't easy!
There are times when the world news is so awful  I wouldn't mind being totally deaf! 
SIGHT. Everyone had their favorite  sense of sight opinion. from of course the faces of
loved ones,  I hope I never lose that sense. Especially  when the rising sun hits the
orange tile roof and I am jolted awake...and grateful. And of course my beautiful
great-grand-daughters of 3 years and 1 year,when I see them in person or on videos
they send me on line. TUG!
"Now, what about the next of our senses; TOUCH" said Jennie, "That's a good one!"
I was drawing a blank, "Nothing comes to mind..." I said.
They all burst into laughter, " No ideas, Auntie?"
"Not a one. Give me a hint." I said, wondering why they were giggling and whispering
to each other. What am I missing , I thought. I got the others... taste . Even now, the
Greek Salad with kalamata  olives...the aromas of food, and yes, the smell of rain
on the spring grass...
But touch...??
My niece Ellen, raised her hand, " Auntie, what were some of your favorite songs?"
"Oh, there were a few over the years....'It's Magic.' "The stars desert the skies and rush
to nestle in your eyes... it's magic." I sang.
"Okay," she said, clicking her I Pad. She put her hand up, "Give me a minute..I have it,
on You Tube." Suddenly the sounds of violins filled the air, swelling and the voice singing,...
"My Darling...A long lonely time....hunger for your touch" It was Elvis.
Of course, the memories ...dancing  in the dimly lit room, while the voice caressed the
words, "I hunger for your touch... a long lonely time..."
"Oh," I burst out, "that  sense of 'touch' I get it now. "
"Auntie," said Jennie," You're blushing!"
" I am not." I picked up the menu and became very occupied with it,  "the Baklava
looks good, and a cup of coffee."
I looked around for the waitress and waved to her, " Miss!"


                                                                        The End                                                          



No comments:

Post a Comment