Wednesday, June 24, 2015
THE WAITING ROOM
We Seniors spend a lot of time in waiting rooms, (obviously).One time stands out in my mind
as especially interesting.That day I took the seat next to a grey haired woman who had her head
down totally rapt in a crossword puzzle. I love puzzles so I leaned closer to her to peek at it.
Without looking at me she covered the page with her arm making it impossible for me to read.
Was it an act of hostility, I wondered?
So I studied her face, etching it in my mind for the next time I'd see her... I knew what I would
do because I recognized a fellow addict.
A few weeks later I did see her again in that same waiting room. And again there was an
empty chair next to her. I was prepared with an enlarged copy of a crossword puzzle so I
opened it and began by reading the clues aloud to myself..."Sun Dried Brick" and I answered
myself, "Adobe". The next clue was " Head of City Government". Of course I knew it but I
hemmed and hawed...until I finally murmered the answer to myself. Then came my 'coup d 'etat.
I was excited, and decided to sing it rather than just say it. " Summertime...and the
livin' is ..., ....is hazy.." I chuckled as I sensed her agitated movement next to me.
I had her number, so I predicted that I wouldn't have to wait long.
"Excuse me" she said, pointing to my puzzle. "The answer is 'easy', not 'hazy' ".
"Wha! Oh! yes, ...easy, ' the livin' is 'easy'. Thanks!"
She put her hand out for a handshake, "My name is Sandy."
"I'm Bev," I said, "Nice meeting you. I love crossword puzzles, don't you?"
"Oh, one of my favorite things to do! It's good for us too, keeps the mind active...
and sharp..."
" And it's fun!" I added.
" I can use a cup of coffee, how about you?" she asked.
After both our appointments were completed, we went out for coffee...the first of many times.
They say that friendship is based on shared interests, And both of us being compulsive obsessive
types,we each had our crossword puzzles with us wherever we went.
THE END
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment