Wednesday, August 12, 2015

My 'lucky' day.

SOOO,  I was named the 'Resident of the Month" in  the latest issue of 

the Newsletter. As a fairly recent resident of this Senior Living facility

I was...well, surprised and...'flattered', (I guess is the word.) No idea why 

I was chosen this month, or any other month for that matter.

"Congratulations!" I heard that all day yesterday when they all read it

or heard about it.

 But my instinctive reaction was skepticism "Why ME?" And I'd  try to       

analyze it, Then I forced myself to stop it. Being positive is one of my

priorities, but it is sometimes a tough assignment for  me (and many a

senior!) But I  was determined to try.

In addition that same summer day was cool, with a pleasant breeze, so

many of us went out to the patio for our  mid-morning snack. I sat at the

large umbrella table with a few of my friends and as we chatted casually

the 'pleasant breeze' turned suddenly into a ferocious wind pulling the

umbrella pole out of its opening in the table, and into the air where it

took off like a missile seeking its target... and finding it!

 ME! The bottom of the pole's flat end landed right on the top of 

my head! I was stunned, couldn't speak for a minute or so, "Are you 

okay?" were the concerns all around me. 

"I think so" I answered, but they all insisted that I go to the hospital

Emergency Room to be checked.

There was as usual a crowd waiting, I took a seat and mulled over what had

just happened. The patio that morning was pretty busy with at least 25 people 

sitting around. "But I was the only one that got hit," I told the nurse.  

"You were the lucky one," she quipped as she placed me into the 

 CAT SCAN  machine. When it was over they told me that there was

no damage, so they put me in ambulette and brought me home. Of course 

I was grateful for the good news but I couldn't shake the thought...'Why me?'

That  wind could have carried the umbrella and post anywhere and landed

on anyone...or no one! 

My daughter Debbie who was away called me that evening. When I told 

her about the events of the day, I made the mistake of adding with

 a chuckle, "The gods must be sending me a message".

There was silence on the other end, "What 'gods'? What message"?

I laughed, "I'm kidding, don't you know my humor by now?" And even though  

I didn't SEE her I felt... knew that she was rolling her eyes. 

But I wondered, what would they be trying to tell me?..  and the answer came to me;

"Ok Missy, so you were named 'Resident of the Month'. Nice, but don't let it

go to your head, you know, your head, the one you got hit on today?"

I shuddered,wishing that I could air it out with Debbie about the reasons why

Hera, or Athena would be upset with me. I surely wasn't the most pure person

on the patio  that day  but I surely wasn't the worst either. AND the  Senior 

Newsletter people liked me...

When Debbie called the following day to see how I was feeling, I didn't

mention the 'gods/goddess' thing, but she did. 

"So Ma, do you still think the 'gods and 'goddesses ' were after you?"

I hesitated, "Well, I... just wonder, that's all..."

" Mother! Be realistic, a gust of wind blew the umbrella and you were

 in the direct path of it. " She laughed,  "You were just lucky that's all."

That was the 2nd time I was told that I was lucky  for what happened

 to me. both times clearly said in sarcasm.

Debbie went on, "Maybe, they were sending you a message, to stop

being so negative about yourself  getting named Resident of the Month.

so they  gave you a good slap to stop it!! Ever think of that?"

Her words hit me like a thunderbolt! They ( the gods) were sending me

the message to be, as I always tried to be, more positive.

       I LIKED IT!   

                                             THE END

.






 



    


 








 

'







+++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment