One Seniors Day; Surveys
SURVEYS
Ok, my fellow seniors, fess up. Do you do this too?
When I walk into a room of mixed age groups I find myself taking an involuntary, informal poll of the people there. A quick look around to assess the ages of the others, and specifically, am I the only senior in the room or one of just a few...or many? And then how do I look compared to them?
My most recent experience was when I went into the crowded waiting room having my Toyota serviced. I did my quick survey...which is not so easy right away, many of them had their heads down with their cell phones, texting, or e-mailing or whatever they do on those things. But not all, the others were reading a newspaper or magazine (People) or watching the large television set on the wall. Hello! These were, without question my seniors (Don't get upset, there are exceptions. But that is what they are, exceptions!)
So the question is why do I do this? Am I in competition with people my age, people I don't even know? And what is the contest? Who looks better? Younger? That blonde over there looks very pretty...for twenty years ago! But for today, I critically decided, the hair was too blonde and too long. She was trying too hard!
Why does she care so much? Why do I care? I think it is partly an intellectual exercise, curiosity.But then in a sudden burst of insight I remembered. Even when we were young, in our teens, our twenties and more we'd walk into a party and instinctively scan the crowd. But the difference was, not checking out the other girls at first, but the guys, Who is that one with the green eyes standing at the bar? Never saw him before...was he alone...or is he here with someone?
Thankfully I thought, those days were over for me, although the surveying of the women goes on...uh...wait a minute, there was that good looking grey haired man at the concert last week, the one with the royal blue jacket...he was seated in the third row... he caught me... staring at him...
THE END
No comments:
Post a Comment