Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Game

When we seniors get together ( which could be every day if we wish)  there is no shortage of subjects to talk about. Having lived a long time, we have myriad  experiences to draw on and opinions to match. The only problem is that some of us...many of us have hearing problems, so there's a lot of , "Whaaat?" going on. 

I decided to play a game when I got to the Senior Center, without telling anyone else. My game had two parts to it.  A) How long before the first one brought up that subject, an hour? half an hour... 5 minutes? And B)  who had the best story while of course the rest of us would be joining in with OURS.

But today, as soon as we all sat at the table, Elaine started passing the photos around of the 'baby,' her first great-grand child of three weeks ago. and while we "oohed" and "aahhed," she said, "he's a gifted boy, I can tell ." Some looked at each other, trying not to mock her. Not me! I knew that  about my great- grand child at the age of 2 days! 

Talk  about babies is of course the most pleasurable of all subjects for we seniors. To know that you're leaving behind another member of the family, and  perhaps a namesake, is so rewarding! Also, along with news about babies, we hear and talk about our older grand -kids..."Matt graduated with honors, he E mailed me this morning..." I told them.  No one mocked that news, they all listened respectfully and were impressed.

But I'm not the only one with brilliant kids, we all have stories, (sometimes we talk over each other with them, especially at the end of  school semester...from the first grade,   (great-grand children), to a college graduation or two. However, it is without question a subject that must be brought up tactfully...and responded to equally as tactful. "Thanks for sharing," was the nicest way to react. Since no one here is able to read minds and see the " 'Ok, enough already with your kids, you told us...!' it remains pleasant.  

As far as other subjects are concerned we seem to have unwritten agreement to keep it light, staying away from illness and  worse.

Okay, so what about politics...lot to talk about  there,  right? Absolutely not! I have no wish to tangle with the other side of the political fence and I'm sure they have no wish to tangle with mine. Our advanced ages didn't weaken our beliefs, so who needs it!!

Weather? Usually not a very interesting conversation, unless it becomes personal, like now. These last few weeks, with one snowstorm following another, thick heavy flakes blanketing the streets, and our cars, ( if we  still drive). Then the temperature drops and it all turns to ice, keeping us indoors where the danger isn't broken bones but fever...cabin fever. Sue said it best," I'm tired of hibernating...gotta get out!"

And then  came  the lull... but for not more than a minute or two...before Annie spoke up, "What a night I had! I lost my sleep and couldn't get back to it for 3 hours!"

I applauded, no one knew why.  She was the first to bring up that subject so she was the first winner of my game.   

"Yeah, me too,"said  Sue,"so I thought if I put some music on the radio it would help."

"Oh,"said Roz, "music is the last thing that would help...it stirs up memories...  good ones... bad ones. Both will keep you awake" 

"What about the radio,but not music, talk shows, "said Jen. 

Everybody moaned, "That's the worst!"

"I had to get up to go to the bathroom," said Millie, " Took me 2 hours t get back to

 sleep! I tried reading, that didn't work either."

When we all murmured in agreement, she nodded, " I think the idea is to put your mind to rest, not to stimulate it!" she said.

Soon we were all  comparing  notes on our nights; "I  had only 4 hours sleep last night," said  Ali, and the rest of us listened sympathetically.

But when Paula said,"I didn't sleep a wink all night! I just waited until dawn to get out of bed." 

That was it!  OK, I thought, applauding again,  you win the game, you had the best...no, the worst story of all.!

That was the end of that discussion, no one could top Paula's story and nobody tried.

We do our best to get together often and keep our conversation interesting such as, "How many hours did I not sleep last night".

                                                                THE END


No comments:

Post a Comment