Friday, February 20, 2015

The Question of Obsessions

 Debbie was coming over and we planned to go gift shopping for my nieces bridal shower next week. When I went outside to wait for her I saw the three '20 something' neighborhood guys walking by together (all home on their college break) and I would have the chance to conduct my usual informal 'survey'...which is really just talking to them, for ex. "What's new with you guys... How is it going in school...what is your favorite class?"
Right now I am obsessed with the subject of obsessions,of their age group...and of course, we seniors. And am very much into the 'generational' differences. The boys know that I'm a writer and they are used to my 'interviews.' In fact they enjoy them. I'm their senior citizen neighbor, not that many of us in their lives (a Grandma, and Grandpa here and there, that's all.) My question to them today was: What are you, each of you, obsessed with?  
Jeff answered quickly,"Music," and they all agreed. To me, their music is not very appealing, my generation once had ours also with the music of our day from Frankie Sinatra to Frankie Laine, but I don't really 'get' theirs. 
"Sports!" called out Pat. Yes! As kids we were obsessive sports fans too, of the Brooklyn Dodgers or New York Yankees and at times our feelings were so intense they actually broke up some of our friendships, one of mine in particular. But that was then, not any more.
Then Matt called out 'Food, " and they all nodded, "Yeah, we do think about a food a lot. Right now, we're going to the 'Pizza Corner' ". So did I relate to that? Not necessarily as much, it's more of a 'guy' thing. the eating part... the social part, sitting with friends, 'catching up,' sure.
But hungry as they were they didn't rush off. They wanted to know what my obsessions were. Imagine that! After all, a half century separated us! That they even gave the slightest interest in what I or anyone else my age thought and felt, (except maybe their own grandmas' and grandpa's), moved me.But what was my answer?  The old interests were no longer uppermost in my mind and heart.So what did mean the most to me, aside from my family of course? I had to think before I spoke, I wanted to say something they'd respect, such as uh...uh, world peace. 
Just then Debbie pulled up, I said "Bye" to the boys and got into her car. "Doing one of your 'Surveys' Ma "? she asked. 
"Uh huh, I'm working on a couple of them and I told her what I talked about with the boys.
I did not expect her reaction. "Ma! that's not a nice question to ask young guys... it's very personal. Why would they want to tell you... admit to you what they're passions are!"   
"Debbie, what are you talking about! They did tell me... 'Sports', y'know, football, baseball, hockey..Is that personal? And Music, they all go crazy for that 'rap', 'hip hop', whatever they call it... and Food ! They were going for pizza..  But why are you're so angry?"
"Ma" Are you really that naive... I never thought you were... they're young guys... men...! She held her head. "Did you forget?"
"Forget what?"
"Y'know...about men..."
"Ha" I laughed, "Let's not go there. And by the way they didn't mind answering my questions...in fact, they were so nice about it.."

"Sure they were being nice but they don't like it!" she said
again, raising her voice "Don't you get it..?"
I shook my head, "Chill!" 
The anger on Debbie's face suddenly cracked, she burst out laughing, "What did  you say?"
"I said, 'Chill'. 'Cool it!" And I laughed too. "Yeah, some of your jargon is so good...perfect. Your Mom is 'with it'. isn't she."  
She laughed, " Sorry Ma, not exactly. "Chillax!"is what we say now. 'Chill and Relax' ! Chillax!"
"Ooh, I like that! Can I use it?"
"It's a free country," she said.
As Debbie was parking  the car at the mall the sun came out, for the first time all week. "I don't want to shop now," I said to Debbie," let's have lunch first." 
"So early Ma?"
"Okay, so we'll call it  'brunch', is that better?"I said.
"Well, why don't we do some shopping first, we'll start in Macy's...They have a great kitchen department."
"No! ... I mean yes, they do, but..."
She gave me a long look, "You like Kohl's better? We'll go there."
I shook my head, 'I like Kohl's, but... no!" I was adamant, spend time  in a store and miss that precious sunshine! I hurried  toward the coffee shop with her following. As soon as we got inside I saw the table I wanted, I call it my table. It was at the wall of windows and the rays of sun were streaming right onto it. A calm come over me from my head to my heart.
"Sit," I said to Debbie, "I want to talk, to explain..." We sat and I leaned forward toward her, "I can't be indoors right now.The sun is shining and I want... must be in it, whether I'm outside or at a window while it's coming through...like this. Do you know what I mean?"
"Well sure,we all like a sunny day, not rainy or cloudy or...."
"You don't understand, honey. I have to get sun...it's my ...."
"... obsession?" she said, rolling her eyes. "Is it?"
I nodded, "Maybe. It makes me feel so good. Is that  bad?"
"Well, it;s not bad but ..."
"Y'know" I said, "I could be 'obsessed' ...with...well, anything... crossword puzzles,Tony Bennett...or those chocolate cookies that you put on the grill..."
"Smores"said Debbie." mmm, yeah me too."
"But now, aah, I feel it, the heat coming from the sun, warm on my shoulders, and look the way it glistens and sparkles on the water pitcher and  the  glasses. Come, sit here on this side."
She came around to the seat next to me which was in full sunlight."Ooh, nice" she said, turning her face to the bright rays that reflected off the window. She lifted her hand  toward me.
"Want to  shake on it?" I said.
"No, High Five!"  
" High Five!" I repeated,  as I thought, Our generations are not so far apart, after all.! There is so much we can agree on." 

                                       THE END

 


No comments:

Post a Comment