Sunday, March 29, 2015

Seniors and the Seasons

                            
                                     

                                   
                                   THE SEASONS  (For Seniors) 

Some people love Winter. The skiers I know
just can't get enough of the mountains of snow
So...My grandkids go,
To the Alps...of all places,
They're young and they're happy, it shows in their faces
"You saw them?" I'm asked,"You went with them there?"
No, I see them on Facebook, in my favorite chair
by my bright sunny window, (when we're lucky enough,)
Our  New York winter's been so harsh and rough
But my fellow seniors are aging but tough!
We may not go skiing, nor sledding...too bold!
Yet we're out everyday in the wind and the cold
To our meetings and book clubs  and the concerts they hold
And it won't last forever. Spring will be next... 
Not us, we can't spring, (we're just glad we can walk)
But that season is nicer, (some think it's the best.) 
It's followed by summer, our boardwalk is there!
To stroll on, to bike on, or just sit and stare
at the young'uns, the old ones. and the blue blue sea...    
The ocean looks cool, lets go in for a quickie.
Then it' s back in the heat and yuk, it's so sticky
But soon comes that season,which is prettiest of all
We'll call it Autumn...Do not call it Fall
My friends are all 'Falling', We hear it so much!
"She slipped on the ice, her ankle was crushed."
But Autumn is lovely, too soon does it end 
Then the cycle begins all over again.
If you can't take it, you can leave...today
Florida beckons? Four hours away
God Bless ...now go pack!
Fear not, New York will stay open,
if you want to come back.

                                            THE END
     

2 comments:

  1. I love your poetry, it's delicious
    Almost as good as Bubbe's knishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    " Almost as good as Bubbe's knishes'
    That is so sweet
    And in spite of my wishes
    I couldn't compete
    With your Bubbe or mine
    They were one of a kind
    Betty
    P. S. I like your rhyme
    It is ALMOST as good as mine

    ReplyDelete